Thursday, November 10, 2011

Wu Wei Su - Part II

Here are some more shots of the monastery. These were taken on my last day there. Below is a tree we were told is 1300 years old and is sacred to the monastery.


Due to rain the training grounds were closed so we practiced here on stone yard. This was the main entrance to the monastery, the figures on either side are to protect the monastery from demons. One represents water the other fire.


Inside the central courtyard.


The side entrance.


This is the door for Shifu's private study, calligraphy studio and tea room.


He doesn't mind visitors. This was the just inside the entrance, a solid stone pool.


Shifu's calligraphy brushes and ink well.


Shifu doesn't speak any english and abhors travel as unnecessary for all that you need to learn is within you, which is a very buddhist thought. So I couldn't ask what this was for but from my calligraphy instruction in Dali I believe it to be a way of practicing before you commit with pen and paper what you want to write.


These are the steps leading up to the temple where I would go to mediate.


The pavilion in front of the temple with the view over the valley.


As I said before you were often taught Kung Fu by kids. There were two Tibetan orphans who have been at the monastery for years. They wouldn't tell me their names and they try not to be attached to the visitors as they see so many. This one was my favorite. He made me feel like a big brother except that he could kick my ass if he wanted to.


The three instructors. There was an older one who ran the classes but wouldn't let us take a picture with him. Also, I think he was sad to see us leave. I would like to have stayed a year to be honest but leaving would be even harder then. On the right is the other orphan, and to the right of Jacqueline is a boy given by his wealthy parents to the monastery and seems to be in training to take over for Shifu in the future. Between the two is the boy from the picture above. They would share any treats people gave them with us and try to refuse and treats we brought for them.

This is a truly special place and I owe my knowledge of it to a bear of a man in body and soul we met in Thailand. Thank you Witold.


No comments:

Post a Comment