Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Singapore

I was in Singapore on the 2nd of July so you have an idea of how behind I am. I didn't much care for Singapore. I say that because I'm watching my money and even while doing so I still spent much more than I would have like. It seemed like the kinda place where if you have the money or are on a short trip, enjoy shopping and eating then you're set. I like the later two but lack the first. That said, after 2 months of scarce vegetarian dishes it was a pleasure to find "Little India". Also there's a strong "do this, don't do this" vibe to the place which is night and day to Indonesia. It is too the point where chewing gum is fineable, so is riding your bike through an underpass, and when there isn't a law about something, well, there's a suggestion.


Durians are a spiky fruit which has a buttery textured meat inside. They are messy to eat with a strong odor but seem really popular here. I had one and enjoyed it, yet I have no desire to have another if that makes any sense.


A sculpture being made at a Hindu temple. We weren't allowed to take pictures of this temple but he said it was ok to do so of him.



China town night market.


A broom and dust bin, kites behind... I've shown these before, they're like still life in way.


They were playing for money... it was intense.


Chinatown near sunset. One street down from the busy one.


This is a Hindu temple in the foreground, I couldn't help but think that there must be a relationship between the structure of the temple and the building behind it.


The colorful building behind used to be a police station. The woman bearing an umbrella against the sun is common here and not a bad idea. It was hot, made all the more so by the concrete and pavement.



Cricket and towers.



A monument to the civilian deaths of the Japanese occupation. Locals call them "the chopsticks".


The wall of a mosque. So many small tiles went into this I can't imagine the labour.


Behind the mosque there was a cemetery.




These flowers are sold to be taken into the Hindu temple by the devoted and placed as offerings I think.


The temples bustle with activity, these are, I think, Pujaris who help the devotees and administer some of the rites.


Old and new... both in age and time.


No comments:

Post a Comment